Saturday, December 16, 2006

It's About Time!

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/holiday-goodies-from-picasa-web-albums_14.html

Holy cow, Google added a search function to their web albums. Yeah that's right. Added a search function!! My question is, how in the heck did they go so long without it?!? I believe it's been nearly a year since web albums came into existence and they came out of beta a couple of months ago...all without a search function. Even their own "new features" page touts the new search capability with the comment of "Hey, we're Google." EXACTLY! All the more reason search should've been the first thing you thought about. Sure it's a free service, but so is flickr and they've had search and tagging since their conception (as far as I know). Plus I'm pretty sure Flickr allows more than 250 mb of storage for their basic service. C'mon Google, if you can have an increasing mailbox size for all Gmail users (nearing 3 gbs) I know you can afford to stretch out the picasa limit a bit. I don't need 3 gb (yet), but 1 would certainly seem reasonable.

By the way, a good portion of my photos from this year can be on the aforementioned Picasa web albums at http://picasaweb.google.com/brianpsmith81. Feel free to try the search function out :-) Or order prints (another "new feature"). Don't expect to see many from next year though (unless Google finds a little more generosity)... my capacity has nearly been reached.

2 comments:

Madison said...

Are you a "google addict"?

If you can't use your google products do you start having withdrawls?

There is an answer for you..."google users anonymous" commonly known as "GUA".

It's not embarrassing. Lots of normal people are working through their google addiction just like you. It's time for you to take the first step to recovery.

I just want you to know that I'm here for you. When you need a shoulder to lean on because you can't use picasa for your new pictures, I'm here. When you need someone to offer comments of ridicule and mockering, I'm here. When the pain of needing google gets to you and you can't help but cry, I'm here.

Just wanted to let you know that in this difficult time, I'm here for you buddy. Together, we can get through this.

Brian said...

How can I be anonymous if I'm already blogging about it? Let's face it, there's no hope left for me. I tried to stop it, really I did. But their services are just so handy, and free, and user-friendly. I have a Google toolbar with 16 buttons on it! And I hate toolbars!!! Woe is me. I shall drown in a sea of Google.