Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ludicrous in Las Vegas


So a week ago, I was quite dumb and left the charger for my laptop at work before flying off to Las Vegas for a .Net Connections Conference. Needless to say, I was rather disappointed, but my dad offered to ship it to me overnight so that I would have it for the last two days at least. So he shipped it on Tuesday, it cost $18, but this was charged to the company, not to me (not yet, anyway).

He called me Wednesday morning and said that according to tracking, it arrived at the New York, New York hotel at 10:23 A.M. We had a lunch break from 12:30 - 2 that day, so I went to the front desk to get it a little after 1. I told them my room number and they went and looked and said they had not received it.

Me: "Are you sure?"

NY,NY: "There was nothing there. Did you get a notice?"

Me: "No, but I was told it arrived here around 10:30 this morning."

NY,NY: "Who told you this?"

Me: "The sender. They had a tracking number." (apparently you haven't heard of such a thing)

NY, NY: "Oh, let me go check again...."

---Long pause while she searches----

"Oh, here it is. It just came in and wasn't sorted yet. Please sign here saying that you accept the $6 handling charge to your room bill."
Ok...wait, what?? $6 for a package you didn't even know you had? Are you kidding me? $18 to ship it overnight is one thing, but for the hotel to charge SIX dollars for a box to sit in a room until you come and get it? C'mon.... maybe if you walked around Vegas until you found me and gave it to me, then it might be worth $6. But not when it's just sitting in a backroom somewhere and you don't even know you have it.

New York, New York Hotel...you have officially been labeled ludicrous!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You've GOT to be kidding me. Wow.

Madison said...

Well, they have to make money somehow. Good grief Brian. You expect them to give you good service? What's up with that? Were you paying for a room or something? Oh, yeah...well, you should have your assistant send them a nasty note. :)