Thursday, February 1, 2007

NFL Won't Let Church Show the Bowl that is Super

There is a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. The NFL apparently doesn't understand the concept. They told a church that they couldn't have a "Super Bowl" party because they were using a projector to show the game. An excerpt:

Initially, the league objected to the church's plan to charge a fee to attend and that the church used the license-protected words "Super Bowl" in its promotions.

Pastor John D. Newland said he told the NFL his church would not charge anyone and that it would drop the use of the forbidden words.

But the NFL objected to the church's plans to use a projector to show the game, saying the law limits it to one TV no bigger than 55 inches.

The church will likely abandon its plans to host a Super Bowl party.

Click here to read the full article...

I really want to see that TV law. Does it just refer to public places? If not, that means that I can't host a Super Bowl party either - my projector display measures 91". If so, that's still a ridiculous law and it should be changed to just mean businesses that are profiting from the event (i.e. restaurants, bars). C'mon, NFL, your fans understand spirit (some in more ways than one), why can't you?





5 comments:

Madison said...

Yikes...that's rather sad and pathetic. Do they think that people who would otherwise go to the game would rather watch it on a projector screen? Are they somehow loosing potential watchers? This is idiotic. The NFL has its knickers in a twist for no good reason.

I say "boycott" the Super Bowl!

Ha ha ha.

Brian said...

How'd the boycotting work out for ya? I still saw the game and beer commercials, so I'm guessing you didn't have much of an impact. I think next year we need to make a commercial for a church or two. If churches are sponsoring the game, they should get the special treatment that bars do, right?

Madison said...

You do know that I was kidding, right?

I don't think that churches should get the special treatment that bars do, but it would be nice for the NFL to ease up.

Brian said...

Yeah, I gathered you were kidding by the 3 "Ha"s at the end (needs quotes, otherwise it looks like has). I guess I should've added them too.

The problem is that the NFL has no reason to "ease up", no matter how nice we think it would be. Sure they may look like big meanie heads to some people, but until someone actually steps up and challenges them (which would probably be more trouble than it's worth for most people), they'll keep interpreting the law and abusing their power however they please.

Madison said...

Ooo, feisty. I thought that was my job. :)

You are right in your assessment of the NFL. I commend your fight against tyranny. Long live King Richard!